Wednesday, September 24, 2008

And once again...I lag off my daily postings....

So, I had said that I was going to try to post everyday. But, I am learning that is not really that easy to post everyday. I have no idea how people have time to do this everyday. Back to business. I am actually very excited that the Canon 5D Mark II was introduced at the biggest photographic show of the world... http://www.photokina-show.com/ you could read more on dpreview.... http://www.dpreview.com/ . Photokina is the electronics and camera show held in Germany, I believe either every 2 or 4 years, this is were I could say the new futuristic electronics are introduced...But, just because they're introduced does not mean it will be in the public hands for months. I just called a camera store....and they told me there's actually over 400 pre-orders for this camera...and chances are if I do a pre-order...I probably won't get it until December or January!!!. I guess I just have to wait.

Back, to photos......During the month of August, I had the privilege to photograph Bay Meadows Racetrack in San Mateo. This track had been here for 74 years. Due, to loosing money, the owners decided to sell and built homes and business offices here. You could read more on this track here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Meadows.


The day of the shoot, I met Tom, he's the PR of Bay Meadows. He's a very outgoing person. While he was showing me the track, I noticed, video cameramen filming. I asked Tom who they were. He told me that during the whole month different media outlets have been coming and filming documentaries about the place before it closes out. THAT was an OBSTICLE for me. I don't like capturing images that OTHER people have. After showing me the track, and the barn we went back to the stands and that's when I looked toward the roof and I asked Tom what was outthere....and he said..."let me show you". We went back inside the Mezzenie (sorry if I wrote it wrong) and took an elevator. When we got to the roof, we walk out the elevator and there were these small buildings on the roof!. He took me in there... Those were the offices...This is the place were everything is controlled and administrated...His office was here too. My OBSTICE was over...I explained to Tom, that I rather photographed these offices and let the "other" folks photograph the "Racetrack" and it's "public viewing domain.". I told him I rather capture images that regular folks don't see..So, it took me over 4 hours and over 500 images...shooting very, very patiently for the right angles and the right lighting to get the images of this place that is no longer here anymore....


The only regret that I have is that I wished I would have stayed longer....due, to my tight schedules....I could only be there for those short hours...And here is my favorite shot of all....

To get this shot, I actually stood on a wooden railing with my right arm stretching all the way to the right and just firing off the camera with out looking at the viewfinder. Everytime I pressed the shutter, I would look at the lcd to see how I could set up my arm and my hand again. I wanted to get the the track, the "Bay Meadows" name, and the pair of horns and the big horn in the same shot...After over 70 images I finally got this one....So, you can get an Idea where I was standing, I embedded a shot from the track looking up below...

This is still an ongoing project....over half of the selected images have been through the first stage of post-production

No comments: